So I received a message on here a few weeks ago which I’ve only just seen now (I’m sorry!) and honestly it really confused me, although I’ve been using wordpress for almost a year now, it’s still new to me and I’m not 100% sure how to use it to it’s fullest so when I received a message from herrdelta saying that I had been nominated for a Mystery Blogger Award, I had to re-read the message a few times as I couldn’t understand what had happened! I think… I’ve got it now though so thank you so much herrdelta from the blog; splitxscreens, honestly I’m so inexperienced with blogging I haven’t actually looked through who follows my blog or searched for blogs in particular so if it hadn’t been for this, I probably wouldn’t have found their blog, I read their article; Writing with Equality: Bucking Tropes & Trends – Part One & Writing with Equality: Bucking Tropes & Trends – Part Two, I had never noticed this sci-fi trope!! Itf’s unbelievably eye opening so thank you for writing about that topic and for nominating me, I had a random influx of views on my blog yesterday and I really couldn’t figure it out, it must have been you, so thank you again!
and now it’s my turn! (I really hope I’m doing this right…)
- Put the award logo/image on your blog
- List the rules
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- You nominate 10 – 20 people (Since I am still embarrassingly oblivious to the world of blogging, I’m going to nominate 4, cheeky I know)
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify).
- Share a link to your best post(s)
The award was created by Okoto Enigma as a way to help bloggers discover each other and further build their audience. Here is an excerpt from about the award from Okoto:
I created the award because there are a lot of amazing blogs out there that haven’t been discovered, yet. And, most of these blogs deserve recognition. For that reason, I decided to make my own award; and nominate people who can also nominate others; and so on. This is one of the best ways to create a friendly community and build a link between bloggers in the blogosphere; as everyone gets nominated and they too can spread the fun by nominating more people for the award.
A Little About Me
- A lot of this stuff you’ll probably pick up from reading any of my posts but number 1, this is my main blog but I also help write for my cousin’s nerd culture website sometimes which I will link later and I’ve just started a blog where I’m trying to convince new bloggers to get involved in a communal Disney blog where anyone can write in their own style as long as it’s about Disney, I’d love for anyone to try and get involved so have a look here to find out more – youhadmeatdisney
- I’m currently a University student in the UK, last year I studied a BSc in Computer Animation but I found the course to be way more technical than I wanted so ended up changing to a double degree; a BA in Film Industries with Creative Writing, meaning I learn film studies and film history but also how to write reviews and screenplays, how to pitch a film or tv show, the foundations of storytelling, how to write for magazines, etc. I’m studying this in the hope’s of one day being able to write for an animated tv show or film, it’s been a dream of mine to work within the animation industry from a young age and I hope this is the first step to achieving that!
- I mean, I don’t want to be one of those people that labels themselves as “nerdy” but I feel it really says something when you have 4 tattoos based on tv shows and movies that you adored as a kid. I have a tattoo on my inner bicep of Violet from the Pixar film; The Incredibles (this was my first tattoo), I have a rather large tattoo of the house from the Cartoon Network show; Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends on my thigh, Wednesday Addams from of course; The Addams Family on the same arm as Violet and lastly a portrait of a Dalmatian puppy next to Violet and Wednesday as a sort of reference to my childhood love of the Disney franchise; 101 Dalmatians. I’m hoping one day to maybe have a tattoo sleeve devoted to my favourite female characters in film and tv, Violet and Wednesday are the start of that.
Five Questions from Herrdelta
- Who is your biggest video game crush and why? – This was a tough one to think up for some reason but I’d have to say Axel from Kingdom Hearts, there’s just something about a freakishly tall guy that can control fire but is as cool as they come.
- If you could pick one game to be remastered, what would it be? – I’m going to say American McGee’s Alice/Alice: The Madness Returns. I love this franchise and it would be great if they could release some kind of pack containing both of them remastered for PS4.
- What got you into playing video games? – Probably my older cousin who I mentioned earlier, I remember him showing me parts of Kingdom Hearts from the age of around 5 or 6 which introduced me to the franchise that I’m such a big fan of now, he also helped get me my first ever games console the PS1 complete with a few Disney games like Monsters Inc., The Little Mermaid & Hercules! He worked in a game store at the time so always came home with new PS1 games for me. I used to go over and see him every Saturday and play fighting games like Marvel vs Capcom and Soulcalibur on his Dreamcast and now we’re both adults, we’ve been to a couple of conventions together and I regularly visit him still simply to play games! So I like to think that he’s the powerhouse behind the interests I’ve had throughout my life.
- Outside of gaming, what is your favorite fandom or franchise (be it a comic, film, tv show, etc) – As obvious as it is now, I’m a big fan of anything animated and like I said, that includes Disney and 90’s cartoons, I’m also a big fan of The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra and Studio Ghibli films. Just show me anything animated and I’ve likely at least looked into it already.
- Is there any particular scene in a video game that you really wish you could rewrite? If so, how would you rewrite it? – at first I struggled to recount every video game I’ve played but then I realised, the answer lies in a game I played fairly recently; Little Nightmares. So, SPOILER WARNING if you haven’t played the game yet and don’t want any hints to the story but for those of you who don’t know the game; Little Nightmares is basically a horror, puzzle, 3D platformer; kind of similar to American McGee’s Alice. You basically play as a young girl and you have to get her from one side of this ship to the other without being seen or physically caught by the monstrous staff of the boat by jumping, climbing, swinging and hiding, it’s a great game. One of the collectables to this game requires you to find these small cute looking creatures called Nomes and when you catch one, you hug it and that’s the collectable, pretty sweet right? HOWEVER… in a scene towards the end, the girl you play as looses her sanity a bit and EATS a Nome instead of hugging it! I thought this scene was horrible! I know it’s a horror game but wow was that a shock, it made me almost dislike the girl a little as it’s predetermined, there’s no way of stopping her from doing this, it just took the cute element away a little but I still really enjoyed the game, I’d just enjoy it more if they let her hug this particular Nome.
Now for my nominations for this, I apologise that I am such a WordPress rookie still, I promise I will look into finding more blogs after this.
- Jay Alba (Bad Film Student) – V-Day Watch List (indie edition) – I’d just like to start off saying how lovely Jay Alba is to me on WordPress, they constantly like and comment nice things on my posts, it’s really encouraging! It’s also pretty cool that we’re both film students! you can see on their blog; Bad Film Student there’s a confession to not seeing a lot of classic films so this is me saying; don’t worry! I haven’t seen all of the films in that list either! We can be bad film students together. I chose the post; V-Day Watch List (indie edition) as I am a sucker for Indie Rom-Coms! It was nice seeing some of my favourite films on that list along with new similar films I have never heard of! Which I will definitely now look into.
- Jamie (Once Upon A Blog) – Disney’s Aladdin: The Genie’s New Voice – I found Jamie’s blog as she ever so kindly commented on one of my posts recently with some really lovely encouragement and inspiration, I have to say honestly I haven’t gone through her blog enough yet but I’ve just seen that she’s recently had a new baby so congratulations to her!! I picked the post; Disney’s Aladdin: The Genie’s New Voice as a nomination as I could really relate to it! I too am a big Robin Williams fan and I can’t say that I wasn’t nervous about who would play the Genie in the live action remake of Aladdin, I had never considered Will Smith before but now that I’ve read it from you, it’s so true! Jamie has a lovely blog full of her Disney family as well as great Disney discussions and reviews.
- Rachel Elliott (flickeringwisp) – Rachel Thinks About: Astral Projection – Now this is one of the cheeky nominations in my list as Rachel is actually my best friend, she currently only has one post on her blog as she’s a beginner to blogging, I’ve chosen her because 1) I was running out of blogs and 2) she’s really good at writing and I know that she just needs that little push to motivate her, so this is that push! the tagline of her blog says: “thoughts about the paranormal & unexplained” and that’s exactly what her blog is about! So fans of all things spooky and mystical head over to her blog to read her thoughts on Astral Projection! This will hopefully persuade her to write more.
- Chris & Mark (nerdoutwordout.com) – Top 10 – Frustrating Games – Okay this is super cheeky to do I know but hear me out, nerdoutwordout.com is a site and podcast founded and run by my cousin Chris who I mentioned earlier and his friend Mark now this may seem cheeky to include because I do write for them sometimes so my posts are included on there site making this kind of self promotion but seriously, the few articles I’ve written for them does not amount to the same amount of work that those two put into the site; they’ve created an entire website along with all the graphics and information on it, they record a weekly podcast together, edit it all together and release them, they write reviews, musings and top ten lists on gaming and nerd culture in general whenever they can all whilst maintaining full time jobs and families. I know these guys try really hard with their website so I had to include them here, I hope that’s okay!
Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
- What’s your favourite Disney film?
- Did you have a favourite cartoon as a child?
- If you could live in any fictional world which one would it be?
- Are there any films that everyone has seen but you haven’t?
- Would you consider yourself to be a nerd of anything? (I guess this question is kind of on the weird side)
My Best Post
This was surprisingly a pretty easy choice for me considering I’m actually fairly critical of my work, I’m going to say the post I did on An Analysis on the Highest Grossing Animated Movies., I chose it as it was the first post I had done in a while which wasn’t a list or count down of some kind, It was a well thought out, planned article that received some lovely responses, so I’m pretty proud of it!
I’m also including a post I did for nerdoutwordout.com as I sometimes accidentally give my great posts to them instead of posting them on my blog! I did a post titled; If it ain’t broke, don’t film it? where I discuss the trend of Disney releasing live action remakes of many of their previous films and how I wish I didn’t fall for these easy money making movies but that I always do! It was the first musing that I did for their site and I think I managed to get all the points I wanted to make down on word document so I’m proud of that.
Thank you so much again for nominating me; herrdelta, I really do appreciate the recognition. I hope everyone reading this makes sure to check out the other blogs I mentioned here as all the hard work people put in to writing their blogs deserves to be recognised!